A smoke alarm is a statutory requirement in every residential apartment. It is extremely recommended that a smoke alarm is fitted in every bedroom and in the hall. The tenant is responsible for buying a smoke alarm and ensuring that it is in working order.
According to a decree which entered into force in April 2009, every 60 square metres of each floor should have at least one smoke alarm. It is a good idea to regularly check that your smoke alarm is working. The battery should be replaced once a year. A good way of remembering this is to do it on the 11th of February as the date, 11.2, is the same as the emergency services number.
Check your smoke alarm
- Fit your smoke alarm on the ceiling about half a metre away from the wall
- Test your smoke alarm regularly, at least once a month
- Replace the battery immediately if it starts to beep
- Change the battery at least once a year
- Remember spare batteries
- Replace your smoke alarm if it stops working.